Historic Hillside

Our History

Hillside began as a 300-acre dairy farm in 1717. 

Nearly 200 years later, it underwent it’s first restoration.

In 1902, Richardson Brognard Okie, who was then still a young untried architect, managed to buy the old farm for $15,000. (The original deed to the property was signed over by William Penn.)

The house, a typical six-room tenant farmhouse, became Okie’s architectural laboratory and a home for his wife and two children. The enormous barn sheltered his horses–who participated in the nearby Devon Horse Show–and his small herd of dairy cows. For over forty years, he made the long commute from his beloved farm into Philadelphia to work with his wealthy clientele until his untimely death in 1945. 

The old farm circa 1914
By the time we got to Hillside, there were trees growing through the roof.

It took our family several years to restore Hillside to it’s former glory, but today, Hillside Farm is a lovely property with giant trees and rolling hills, an enormous barn, a chicken coup, and a constant stream of friends and family. 


“Home is the nicest word there is.”

Laura Ingalls